Peaberry from Kenya

April 25, 2014 in What's New

It’s no exaggeration to claim that our new Peaberry from Kenya is rare and exceptional among coffees available anywhere. What makes it so extraordinary?

Most coffee beans are twins. That is to say that 95% of all “cherries” (the fruit of the coffee plant) contain two seeds, side by side. These seeds or “beans” mature into “flatberries,” which are round on one side and flat on the other. The remaining 5% of coffee cherries worldwide contain only one bean. Without a twin, single beans have more space and grow to resemble the shape of a pea. Peaberries are not only coveted for their scarcity, but also for the way they roast so evenly—due to their rounder shape and higher density.

In this case, we acquired Peaberries from Kenya—a region renowned for its coffee in general. Specifically, Kenyan coffee has a rich body, fragrant aroma and intense flavor. Part of this is due to the terroir —the high plateaus around Mt. Kenya, where high elevation and acidic soil provide ideal growing conditions. But, the excellence of Kenyan beans is also driven by the fact that 70% of Kenyan coffee is grown on small farms by farmers proud of their craft and proximity to the birthplace of coffee (Ethiopia). We gave our Kenyan Peaberries a medium roast, which yields a full body and pleasant cocoa aroma.

In the same league with Kona and Jamaica Blue Mountain coffees, Kenyan coffee demands a price that matches its reputation. But as usual, we’ve worked extra hard to provide an authentic, high-quality product at the lowest possible price. Our 13-ounce can of 100% Arabica whole bean Peaberries from Kenya is an amazing $7.99. Now, that’s value!

NOTE: Since posting, the details of this item may have changed due to fluctuating market prices, federal regulations, currency rates, drought, pestilence, bandits, rush hour traffic, filibusters, clowns, zombie apocalypse, punctilious product developers... Contact our Crew for current price and availability.


100% Arabica Whole Bean Peaberries.

Tags: Kosher, Coffee, Peaberries